Sunday, November 14, 2010

What Does America Mean to Me?

"Flag" by Jasper Johns, 1955
     Our peers at the University of East Anglia have been kind enough to share with us their writings on the question of "What Does America Mean to Me?" Having read them, I have managed to identify a number of ideas that are shared in common by many students. There are many of these themes, and they all are important pieces of the puzzle that is American identity.
     One theme common to many of the papers I read was that of American ideals. These ideals include racial and social equality, freedom (especially freedom of speech), and democracy. These ideals are all very true of Americans. I can think of nothing most Americans would defend more ferociously than their freedom of speech. However, as my peers did well to point out, these ideals are often in conflict with the reality of America. Racism and discrimination are still commonplace, despite decades of struggle against it, and in many ways equality is a far off dream. Freedom is something most Americans feel they have, but America's history has been defined by struggles to attain that freedom, from the American Revolution up to the Civil Rights Movement. Democracy, a form of government run by the people and for the people, has been the cornerstone of American ideals since the nation's founding. Many Americans feel disheartened that their opinion makes seemingly little difference (and consequently there is low voter turnout), and so democracy is constantly in question. Nonetheless, democracy is an important part of American identity and what America means.
     Another undeniable aspect of modern America is its mass media and how it influences much of the world. American media in the forms of television, music, movies, and other publications are widely distributed to the world, and provide a means by which America can influence other countries. As many of the students at the University of East Anglia stated, a huge portion of the media they absorb is American. Some students stated that most of the movies they see are from the US, one student stating "... if you were to visit a cinema in England you would see that at least 80% (probably more) of the movies being shown are from the US..." America's position as a world power is important to the nation's modern identity, and media is a very powerful way for America to maintain that position.
     Patriotism is yet another theme that showed up amongst many of my peers' papers. The US is somewhat unique in its common sense of patriotism. Americans are raised with patriotism as a norm, and are taught to believe in the virtues of democracy. As such, it is almost hard to believe that a sense of patriotism isn't as strong to citizens of some other nations. Some of my peers were curious about the significance to the American flag, and this is simple: it stands as a symbol for American ideals and patriotism. To Americans, our flag represents our country and all the ideals that it stands for, such as freedom, equality, diversity and democracy.
     These themes are just a few of the pieces of what America means. America's identity is complex, a result of its diverse population and rich (albeit short) history.

3 comments:

  1. It is very interesting to hear back from someone from the place in which we are studying and that is around the same age group. It is also interesting that you share many of the same views as us on America in relation to the flag. I agree with you that the concept of this is complex, yet you state that: the flag 'represents [your] country and all the ideals that it stands for, such as freedom, equality, diversity and democracy.' However, after looking into the pledge of allegiance which is forced upon American children to recite at a young age, one could argue that this is an example of removing ones freedom and encouraging them to perhaps pledge to something which they have no choice in doing. I have heard of children being punished for refusing to do so, thus is this not an example of taking ones liberty and freedom away from the flag, even though it is supposed to represent them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anna, there's a lot of interesting truth in what you've said. The tradition of the pledge of allegiance is a very strange one. From a young age, we're not so much taught that we have to say the pledge, but rather it is presented as the norm. As kids, we are encouraged to recite the pledge (while standing, right hand at heart facing the flag) and we just follow along without much thought. Personally, as I became a teen, I got a bit more savvy and angsty. I came to wonder why I was pledging undying loyalty to anything that wouldn't do the same for me. I felt that the relationship wasn't mutually beneficial, and so I chose to stop saying the pledge around age 14. I instead stood respectfully while others went along with the routine. It was my form of quiet protest. Thankfully no teachers of mine ever took offense (or maybe they just didn't notice).
    I would say that for the majority of American students, the ritual of pledging to the flag is only that, a ritual. By high school, most students would just mumble the pledge while staring off blankly.
    What I'm getting at is that the pledge is a fairly innocent thing. It is definitely contrary to the American ideal of freedom of choice, but usually it is a ritual that nobody takes very seriously. I think people start to take it even less seriously when they come of age to question its self-contradiction (like I did, and some of my peers did).
    I hope I was able to answer your question!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Jay

    I find it very interesting to read your reponse to the views of me and my peers at UEA.
    I think that what you say "it is almost hard to believe that a sense of patriotism isn't as strong to citizens of some other nations" it makes it clear how patriotic the majority of American are. As a person born and brought up Britian, to be more speific England, I have no real feeling patriotism to country or crown. Although having said this I do feel strangely "patriotic" to London. Part of me wishes that I did have a feeling that tied me my country of birth.

    Having studing America Politics last year I find your comments on American deomcracy very interserting. The reason for this because for what I understand the turn out of American votes is high if you look at it in the context of those who register, however if you look at it as a those who are allowed to vote then the turn out seems low. If you were to compare regiested voters turn out to a British Election turn out the rates would most likely be higher.

    I think that what you have said has given a good insight to how you feel about America, which is very useful to someone studying America from outside its boarders.

    Thanks
    Eleanor McDavis (UEA)

    ReplyDelete